It's been a tough couple of weeks. In fact, this year has been crazy so far.
I've been *slightly* overloaded with work, and just when I thought I had more time on my hands to work on my photography, B and I were given notice on the flat we're in at the moment, and told by the landlady that she'd like to move back in.
This has thrown me off course more than I'd like to admit, as I've, yet again, completely underestimated how much time goes into moving: finding flats, booking and going to viewings, packing, sleepless nights worrying if we're going to find another place as nice as where we are now.
But it's also made me re-evaluate what I'd like our next flat to be: bigger, with more space, more rooms, more light, definitely a bigger kitchen, and hopefully some sort of outdoor space. I can only dream! I see this move as a new beginning, a fresh start, and I can't wait to see what we'll find.
And in the middle of all this, I can't believe I forced myself to carve out some time to bake yesterday. I had to. Baking keeps me sane. And I think this is the first time that I've baked something other than whoopie pies this year.
I've been craving friands for a while now and Bill Granger's friand recipe is one of my favourites. I've changed it slightly, using oats and raisins in the batter, then filling each one with whipped cream, and topping off with a generous spread of apricot glaze. Hits the spot, everytime.
(A *massive* THANK YOU to Roslyn for sending me this friand tin!)
And of course, not forgetting last week's breakfast photos:
Banana Bread With Maple Butter (made by Bruce)
A big thank you to everyone for all your lovely emails and suggestions regarding Turkey. We finally booked our trip, and we'll be going to Istanbul first, then Oludeniz, and hopefully a few other places in between.
p.s. I love that when you type 'Oludeniz' into google images, it fills your screen with blues and greens. Gorgeous - can't wait!
Oats & Raisin Friands (adapted from Bill Granger's recipe)
135g ground almonds
220g icing sugar
85g plain flour
8 egg whites
150g unsalted butter, melted
350ml double cream
100g apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Butter and flour a 12-hole non-stick friand tin.
2. Mix the ground almonds, icing sugar and flour in a large bowl. Stir in the egg whites until just combined. Pour in the melted butter and gently fold under.
3. Pour the batter into the tin. Top with raisins and oats. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
4. Whip the double cream until thick. Cut each friand in half, place a tablespoon of whipped cream on the bottom half and cover with the top half of the friand.
5. Place the apricot jam in a small ramekin, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and stir to form a glaze. Spread the glaze generously over the tops of the friands.