Makes roughly 60 mini-madeleines
180g butter, melted
180g plain flour
180g caster sugar
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease a madeleine pan by brushing it with butter.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
3. Mix in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
4. Mix in melted butter.
5. Transfer the batter into a piping back and pipe into the madeleine pan.
6. Bake for roughly 10 minutes. The madeleines are ready if the cakes spring back when lightly poked.
- Madeleines are best eaten warm, straight out of the oven. They don't keep long and dry out very quickly. Eat as soon as possible.
- I find the madeleines keep longer when dipped in melted chocolate. This allows the madeleines to remain moist.
- Madeleines are supposed to be served rounded side up. For the purpose of my photos, I wanted flatter madeleines, so I omitted the baking powder. I also wanted to take advantage of the venation, so I've displayed them rounded side down.